This is not your average grain bowl recipe. This healthy grain bowl is vegan and gluten-free and it hits all the major tastes while each ingredient compliments the other.
This fall grain bowl recipe has 4 main elements: roasted butternut squash for a little sweetness, smoky adobo quinoa for mild spice, umami mushrooms for a savory coziness, and crispy kale seasoned with a bit of lemon.
This grain bowl is perfect for fall and early winter when butternut squash is in season. Although you can pick and choose any elements you would like and build your own to fit whatever season you are in.
- Umami Roasted Mushrooms
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Crispy Kale
- Smoky Adobo Quinoa
- Garlic Herbed Aioli
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make The Fall Grain Bowl
Equipment needed: a blender.
Start by preparing the mushrooms. Cut and marinate for 30-90 minutes.
Peel the butternut squash. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into cubes. Then season with salt and pepper and coat with olive oil.
Rinse and destem the kale. Tear or chop into medium pieces. Add the seasonings, lemon juice and olive oil to the kale and coat.
Toast the quinoa in the pan. In a blender add all the ingredients to the blender (except quinoa) and blend. Once the quinoa is toasted, use the blended mixture to cook the quinoa.
Bake the butternut squash, mushrooms and kale in the oven.
Watch How To Make The Fall Grain Bowl
- Roasted Butternut Squash - instead of butternut squash try using sweet potatoes.
- Smoky Adobo Quinoa - this can be substituted for regular quinoa or quinoa cooked with vegetable broth instead. It can also be substituted for any other grain you prefer.
Fall Grain Bowl
- 16 oz mushrooms shitake, baby bella
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- olive oil to coat squash
Smoky Adobo Quinoa
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 chipotle in adobo with or without seeds
- 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms and place in a large bowl. Add the tamari, olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic, thyme, and sage. Mix until the mushrooms are well coated. Let marinate for at least 30-90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F convection and adjust your racks to fit the butternut squash, mushrooms and kale.
- Butternut Squash. Peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into cubes. Season with salt and pepper and coat with olive oil.
- Bake the mushrooms and butternut squash for 10 minutes to start (and then add in the kale).
- Quinoa. Add the quinoa to the pan and toast for about 5-10 minutes until they start to turn golden. Make sure to stir so they are toasted evenly. In the blender add the rest of the ingredients and blend. Once the quinoa is toasted add the seasoned water to the quinoa and cook like normal. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Kale. Rinse and destem the kale. Tear or chop into medium pieces. In a large bowl, add the kale and seasonings and mix until everything is well coated.
- Add the kale to the oven and bake in the oven at 425°F convection for 15 minutes or until crispy. The butternut squash and mushrooms are done once tender.
- Plate and top with our Garlic Herb Aioli, Pickled Onions and pepitas.