The best vegan egg substitute for scrambled eggs breakfast made with tofu crumble!
If you are trying to go plant-based and miss having scrambled eggs for breakfast then try this vegan scrambled egg recipe made from tofu. This tofu scramble recipe is easy to follow and takes under 10 minutes!
This vegan scrambled eggs recipe is simply made from just firm tofu and our special tofu scramble seasonings. This breakfast scramble can easily be doctored up by adding vegetables, beans, or leafy greens, like these vegan breakfast tacos made with black bean spinach tofu scramble.
Benefits of Tofu
Tofu is a plant-based vegan protein source made from soybeans. Not only is tofu very high in protein, 10 grams per 100-gram serving, but it is also a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and other vitamins and minerals.
Soybeans, and its byproduct tofu, contain soy isoflavones which have been shown to protect against breast cancer, prostate cancer, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
To make this vegan egg substitute you will need a few simple ingredients.
- firm tofu: tofu is the base of this recipe
- nutritional yeast: this enhances the flavor and adds a cheesy egg-like taste, if nutritional yeast is unavailable in your area you can substitute with some vegan cheese or even omit it altogether
- tofu scramble seasonings: turmeric powder, garlic powder, chili powder (or paprika powder), salt and pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
VEGAN BREAKFAST TACOS WITH BLACK BEAN SPINACH TOFU SCRAMBLE
The Best Vegan Breakfast Tacos Recipe: A Delicious Black Bean Spinach Tofu Scramble
These savory southwestern vegan breakfast tacos are filled with vegan scrambled eggs made from tofu sautéed with black beans and spinach.
If you're looking for a delicious vegan breakfast that is both nutritious and savory, look no further than this vegan breakfast taco recipe. These tacos feature a black bean spinach tofu scramble, complemented by a variety of spices.
The combination of protein-rich black beans and tofu along with nutrient-dense spinach makes these tacos a filling and satisfying plant-based breakfast. This vegan breakfast taco recipe is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen.
Whether you're vegan, vegetarian, or simply looking to try something new, this breakfast taco recipe is sure to be a hit.Jump to:
To make a vegan scrambled egg recipe you will need the following:
- block of firm tofu
- nutritional yeast
- dry seasonings - turmeric powder, garlic powder, chili powder (or paprika powder), salt & pepper
- optional additions - tomato paste, black salt
Here is what else you will need to make vegan breakfast tacos:
- black beans
- spinach or leafy green
- ground cumin
- corn tortillas
- taco toppings of choice - vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, fresh salsa, hot sauce
See the recipe card for quantities.
Prepare the tofu by draining the excess liquid from the tofu and using a towel to remove the excess brine.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
Break up the block of tofu into a crumble with a fork, your hands, or a potato masher, and add it to the pan.
Add the seasonings to the tofu crumble and mix until it is evenly coated - add in the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, garlic powder, chili powder (or paprika), salt, and pepper.
If you would like to add in any other vegetables, beans or leafy greens now is a good time depending on how long they typically take to cook.
Cook on medium heat for about 7 minutes until everything is well combined and coated in seasonings - the tofu will become yellow and take on a color similar to traditional scrambled eggs.
Top with your favorite toppings just as you would traditional scrambled eggs.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator and use them within 3-5 days. Tofu scramble can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Substitutions & Additions
- Nutritional Yeast: if nutritional yeast is not available in your area, you could also substitute it with some vegan cheese or omit it altogether.
- Addition Ideas: beans, onions, minced garlic, bell peppers, spinach, kale, tomatoes, vegan cheese, nuts, and seeds.
- If you are adding dense vegetables that take a little longer to cook, or adding onions or fresh minced garlic, add before you add the tofu mixture and cook about 3-5 minutes beforehand.
- If you are adding softer vegetables/foods, like spinach, kale, tomatoes, or cheese, add them near the end of the cooking time to ensure they don’t get overcooked. Approximately 2-4 minutes prior to being done.
- Top with: avocado slices, salsa, cilantro, fresh tomato, green onion, diced onion, vegan sour cream, and hot sauce.
- This can be dressed up the same way you would typically make scrambled eggs.
- Make into a veggie scramble, tacos, burrito, on toast, with toast, with some breakfast potatoes, veggie sausage, or veggie bacon. Get wild.
Yes, tofu scramble can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
Tofu scramble is typically made with turmeric powder which is bright yellow and naturally dyes (or stains) that which it comes into contact.
Vegan Scrambled Eggs Recipe
- 1 block firm tofu 14-16oz
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder or paprika powder
- salt + pepper to taste
- oil to sauté
- 1 tbsp tomato paste optional
- black salt to taste, optional
- Prepare the tofu by draining the excess liquid from the tofu and using a towel to remove the excess brine.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Break up the block of tofu into a crumble with a fork, your hands, or a potato masher, and add it to the pan.
- Add the seasonings to the tofu crumble and mix until it is evenly coated - add in the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, garlic powder, chili powder (or paprika), salt, and pepper.
- If you would like to add in any other vegetables, beans or leafy greens now is a good time depending on how long they typically take to cook.
- Cook on medium heat for about 7 minutes until everything is well combined and coated in seasonings - the tofu will become yellow and take on a color similar to traditional scrambled eggs.
- Top with your favorite toppings just as you would traditional scrambled eggs.
- The tofu does not need to be pressed for this recipe.
- Tomato paste adds a nice flavor, but it is totally optional.
- If you desire more of an egg flavor, try using black salt, aka Kala Namak.
- Substitute the oil for the tofu brine, broth, vegan milk, or water.
- Premix and have ready to go in the fridge or freezer.
More Tofu Recipes
- Try these vegan breakfast tacos with a southwestern tofu scramble taco filling.
- Try this vegan breakfast sandwich made with a marinated pan-fried tofu egg patty, it is a savory, high-protein breakfast sandwich.
- A crispy and flavorful blackened tofu recipe perfect for wraps, adding to salads, grain bowls, or sandwiches.
- A simple crispy tofu recipe ideal for grain bowls, Asian-inspired noodle bowls, or salads.